HOME > FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Supporting Toronto's communities
Toronto Foundation makes grants in three ways:
- Donor Advised Grants: Toronto Foundation fundholders direct grants independently through their own areas of interest.
- Core Grants: When we use our smaller central pool of discretionary funds to support our core grants, investments and responsive granting.
- Responsive Grants: When we administer federal grant programs locally to communities.
The amount of Toronto Foundation’s discretionary funding available centrally varies from year to year and responds directly to the issues and opportunities arising from Toronto’s Vital Signs research. Signature programs include Toronto’s Vital Signs Grants, Deacon Legacy Grants and Social Capital Grants, as well as social impact investments. In addition, we provide occasional partnership funding for organizations working at the crossroads of issues, sectors and systems change.
In 2021, together with our fundholders, Toronto Foundation made 2,143 grants to 912 charities, totalling $21.2 million.
Occasional funding opportunities do come up – often through our umbrella organization, Community Foundations of Canada. COVID-19 has prompted many of these funding opportunities. Below are links to the more recent, responsive grants, many of which we’ve partnered on.
When we partner with Community Foundations of Canada, the funding criteria has already been established and we administer the program locally. We are exploring new avenues to fund more grassroots work and are piloting this approach with our Black and Indigenous Futures Fund.
- Community Services Recovery Fund - Applications closed
- Better Toronto Coalition
- Canada Healthy Communities Initiative - Results now available
- Emergency Community Support Fund
- Fund for Gender Equality - Results now available
- Investment Readiness Program - Applications closed
THE CONNECTION E-NEWSLETTER
Read the latest news, stories and insights on the city's needs and opportunities; organizations working on solutions; and how to get involved with your philanthropy.